Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Vintage Hanging Rack

I honestly thought that this would be a quick easy project but a few surprises along the way slowed me down. In the end, I am very happy with this new hanging rack for my main floor bathroom.

I made the back of the rack out of the door for a small standing cabinet that I already had in the bathroom, but found that we weren't actually using for anything. The door had a really pretty detail in each of the three panels (you can see it in the picture below). I assumed that this detail was wood. I drilled a hole through the centre (so that I could attach the glass drawer knobs that I used as the hangers) and the pretty detail shattered. As it turns out, it was ceramic. This is how my quick and easy project became less quick and easy.

 I came up with a new plan to add detail in the panels and still be in keeping with the vintage look I was going for. I chipped away all of the ceramic detail and added a coat of light grey paint to the inside of each panel. Then I used mod podge to attach lace (from some old curtians).

I drilled holes in the centre of each panel and added glass drawer pulls as the hangers. Then I attached picture hangers to the back of the board and screws to the bathroom wall. Here's how it turned out...

1 comment: