Sunday, 16 September 2012

Dresser turned TV stand

Here's a project that I finished this past winter. I added shelves and some paint to an old dresser to make it our new TV stand. I really love how this project turned out.

I started by taking the drawers out of the dresser and adding pieces of MDF to create the shelves. I added some decorative trim to hide the edge of the MDF and to add a little detail (you can see this better in the final picture).

Once the shelves were in, I added a coat of grey paint to everything but the top surface. I didn't use primer because I knew I wanted to sand the painted surface and expose some of the wood underneath. I ended up sanding and staining the top because it was in rough shape.

As the final step, I sanded the painted wood and used a mix of dark walnut stain and glaze to give it an antique look. I also sealed the whole dresser with a clear coat because I wanted it to be easy to dust/clean.

Overall this was a pretty easy project that I would definitely tackle again. I'm thinking of doing something like this with a dresser I have in the master bedroom to make a linen closet for my upstairs hallway.